Atomos adds Flagship Shogun Inferno to the HDR Blaze of Product Announcements
Press Release: Melbourne, Australia – 17th April 2016:
invented the all-in-one monitor recorder category and now redefine it
with the Shogun Inferno. It is the combination of the most advanced monitor technologies – 1500nit/10bit/HDR, the
latest recording capability – 4Kp60 over Quad-SDI, along with playback & editing functionality that encourages on set
collaboration. Shogun Inferno makes mastering a high resolution, high frame rate, high dynamic range workflow
available to all filmmakers.
Shogun Inferno sits as the flagship model in the new 8-strong Atomos HDR line-up which has expanded to include HDR
as a free update to the Blade HD series, Ninja Assassin, Shogun and Shogun Studio along with the recently announced
“The best technology booms are the ones that truly WOW long standing professionals. HDR on the Atomos products
leaves even the most experienced video professional excited like a kid in a candy store – never before have you
actually been able to monitor and shoot what you are actually seeing” said Jeromy Young CEO and Co-founder. “Just
as we opened up the changeover from MPEG to ProRes and the upgrade from HD to 4K, we’re focused on ensuring
the exciting breakthrough that is HDR easily becomes part of every filmmaker’s arsenal. To do this all at 4K 60p is a
Shogun Inferno has all of the premium monitoring features previously announced on the Shogun Flame i.e. 10 stops of
dynamic range with AtomHDR, 1500nit brightness for outdoor monitoring & 10-bit processing for smooth color
transitions. In addition, Inferno also adds;
- High quality 4K 60p and HD 240p ProRes and DNxHR recording, from either a video or Raw signal – perfect
for sports broadcasters and slow motion recordings
- Raw to Raw CDNG recording up to 4K DCI/UHD 30p or 2K/HD 120p. CDNG support will also be added to
existing Shogun Flame, Shogun and Shogun Studio users one month after the launch of Inferno.
- Versatility of Quad SDI connections to let you input from cameras with 1.5/3/6/12G SDI outputs without the
need for converters – perfect for 4K HDR multi cam events
- PQ (ST-2084) input that allows you to use Inferno as a grading monitor in Post
- PQ (ST-2084) output standard HDR to compatible TVs and monitors
The Samurai Blade, Ninja Blade, Shogun and Ninja Assassin also benefit from getting a free upgrade to the AtomHDR
image processing for their 400 nit, 8-bit displays. This is possible because Atomos control both OS and the LCD display
engine allowing previous generation HD products to receive this amazing feature for free. This gives a preview of the
Post Production HDR result in the field so that judging exposure and bringing it into Post for HDR or SDR delivery is
possible for shooters who have a Log output from their camera. The free OS upgrade to gain AtomHDR for Blade,
Shogun, Ninja Assassin and Shogun Studio is scheduled for May 2016.
In addition to the announcement of Shogun Inferno and the expanded HDR line-up, Atomos have made further
announcements at NAB to support this new 4K 60p, HDR world;
Links to separate press release;
1. Shogun Flame & Ninja Flame OS7.1 gains ST2084 PQ in/out for HDR & new HDR WFM guides
2. A new line-up of 4K 60p HDMI cables with high speed HDMI 2.0 and AtomFLEX coiled cable management
3. A new partnership with calibration leaders, X-rite giving more accurate color management to the Atomos range
Atomos Shogun Inferno in detail;
- AtomHDR; AtomHDR lets you shoot with the high brightness range of your camera’s Log profile and preview
the final, vibrant post production HDR result.
- 4K 60p; Record and play out pristine ProRes/ DNxHR in 4K resolution and 24/25/30/50/60p frame rates.
- HD 240p; Apart from 4K recording, high frame rate HD from 50p to 240p can be recorded from cameras that
output these high frame rates.
- Quad SDI; The Quad SDI inputs let you connect from cameras with 1.5/3/6/12G SDI outputs without the need
- Raw recording; Capture the RAW output from Sony FS7/ FS700 and Canon C300MKII/C500 over SDI,
recording to either ProRes, DNxHR or CDNG.
- 10-bit monitor; 10-bit monitor processing increases the number of colors from 16.7 million for standard 8-bit
panels to 1.07 billion, minimizing color banding on screen.
- 7” 1500nit brightness; For Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) shooting ramp the brightness slider up to 1500 nit
for hood-free outdoor monitoring.
- Apple ProRes & AVID DNxHR recording; Record to visually lossless Apple ProRes or AVID DNxHD in Rec709
or Log formats as an edit friendly, visually lossless industry benchmark independent of the camera brand used.
- PQ in/out; Take PQ out into larger HDR compatible screens or feed HDR from your NLE into the PQ input for
HDR grading using the Inferno.
- Custom looks; Apply a custom look to footage by uploading and applying “.cube” 3D LUT’s. View in full/half
mode on screen, output it to a monitor or record into the footage.
- Continuous power; Our patent pending Continuous power system automatically swaps to the second battery
when power is low for uninterrupted recording in the field.
- Playlist generation; Create playlists easily, either entire clips or tagged parts of clips, for playback on the unit or
out to a larger screen.
The Shogun Inferno ships with host of accessories including a HPRC hard case, a snap-fast HDR sunhood, fast battery
charger, control cable, 2 x NP-F750 4 cell batteries, USB 3 Docking Station, D-Tap Cable, 5 x Master Caddy Cases,
Break-out XLR cable and a 12 V 3A AC-DC Power Adapter. MSRP is US $1995 with availability in Q3 2016