Last week Avid announced that they would be releasing and shipping the newest version of Media Composer on March 8th - a full month before NAB! This is very exciting news and it created a flury of tweets, blog posts and discussions in user groups and forums. At last years NAB, Avid announced Media Composer 5, and it was he hit of the show. It won numerous honors throughout the industry at NAB and throughout the year and was even named the Videoguys Top Product of 2010. It looks like the new version 5.5 is going to continue the momentum and we expect the awards to keep on coming in 2011.
What's new in Media Composer 5.5
- Capture, monitor, and output with AJA Io Express
- Edit HDCAM SR Lite footage natively
- Accelerate AVC-Intra workflows with Nitris DX AVC-Intra
- Speed up editing and mixing with the Artist Series
- Find the right clips fast with PhraseFind
- Directly tweak transitions with the Smart Tool
- Gain better search capabilities
- Capture and monitor audio using Pro Tools hardware
- Work with audio more easily and creatively
- Fuel your creativity with the Production Suite
Once Media Composer 5.5 is released a downloadable upgrade for Media Composer 5 users who purchased before Feb. 8th will be available direct from Avid for $149 or you may purchase a boxed upgrade that also includes the Avid Production Suite with 3rd party software from us at $395. The only change in the 3rd party software is that Boris Continuum AVX has been updated to ver 7.
Do I qualify for a free upgrade?
Youâ€™re eligible to receive a free upgrade to Media Composer 5.5 if you meet one of the following requirements:
- You purchased and registered a full or upgrade version of Media Composer 5 on or after February 8, 2011 (register your full version or upgrade)
- You have a valid Avid Support contract/plan (just log in to the Download Center to get your free upgrade when available)
The boxed upgrade to MC5.5 with the Avid Production Suite from MC4.x or older, Xpress Pro or Xpress DV will be $895.