"The Telestream "Guide to Streaming to Facebook Live 2018" white paper on the Streaming Media website is well-worth reading if you have a few minutes to spare. Below are a selection of favorite notes, ideas, thoughts and best practices from the paper. I have reorganized information and made additions, subtractions and modifications, but some content is straight from the paper.
Pre-show Marketing Considerations / Notes
- Schedule your live broadcast - Facebook allows you to schedule your live broadcast up to seven days in advance. However, this feature is only available to those broadcasting via third-party apps, such as Wirecast on the desktop. The scheduled Live broadcast shows up on your business page Timeline as a regular post and your audience can tap/click once to get a reminder when you go live.
- Encourage users to opt-in for “Live Notifications" - This will alert users immediately when you start a live stream. Users can do this by hovering over the Following button on your business page, and then clicking the edit pencil next to Notifications, and selecting All Live Posts.
- Pre-event “boosting” of your scheduled live video is not currently possible on Facebook.
- Post a pre-show promotion video - Since video is ranked highly in the News Feed, posting a short video promoting your live show can help to build buzz and boost viewership.
- Design a landing page or website to generate web traffic and interest during and after your live broadcast
- Set up a way for users to opt-in to an email list for future videos and related live events. Promote it during and after the show.