EH Filmmakers by Eugene Brown
Mini DV tapes! Do you remember those? If you do then you remember how long and tiring capturing and organizing wedding footage used to be. Thanks to technology, managing media has become much easier and way more efficient. There are so many ways to manage media out there and we want to share these 4 essential steps we take to manage our media efficiently before we even start to edit.
1. BEFORE THE CAMERAS ROLL.
Sync your gear - This can be super tedious and annoying to do before every shoot, but you should just do it. It’s such a time saver later on. (We’re going to write this post as if you already know how to do those things.)
- If we’re shooting with multiple cameras, we make sure they are in sync. That means checking frame rates, picture profiles, dates, and times.
- You want to also be sure your audio field recorders are all in sync if you’re using multiple units.
- We label our cards so we can always track down who shot on what card. This comes in handy when we have a dedicated person dumping cards when we need fast turn around times on an edit.
- We format our cards before every shoot. We hate when we forget to do this and halfway through the shoot we realize that we still have footage from another shoot on the card.
- When we’re headed off to a shoot, we make sure that all of the free cards that have been formatted and are ready for the shoot are facing with our labels down.
- Labels facing down means the card is free and ready to use
- Labels facing up means that the card has footage on it and needs to be dumped