Subscribe to this thread in the Avid Community Forums http://community.avid.com/forums/t/119365.aspx for all the latest MC7 info, directly from Marianna herself!
New Items to the end on added 5/29/13
Listed below is a 22 part comprehensive list that covers most of the main points surrounding the v7/v11 releases. The v7/v11 products are expected to be available "officially" later this quarter to the general public.
Some of the details such as the end date of the Protection Period and the date we add activations to customers accounts at account.avid.com, as well as updated links to FAQ's and ReadMe's, etc. are still being finalized.
Important - As soon as I have additional information I will UPDATE this thread and indicate that the information added is NEW and the date I added it.
I want to be sure that all the supporting documents and URL's you are provided are accurate to help answer the onslaught of questions over the coming weeks.
If you have any questions please let me know via email, AOL IM (avidmarianna), Skype (mariannamontague) or via cell 813-493-6800.
1. Web Site - The www.avid.com pages for Media Composer 7, Media Cpmposer 7 with the Symphony Option and NewsCutter 11 will go live at the end of June 2013 with details on the products. Since we are still offering Media Composer 6.5, Symphony 6.5 and NewsCutter 10.5, the 6.5/10.5 pages remain on avid.com.
2. NAB Microsite - We created a microsite in April 2013 locatd at http://apps.avid.com/events/2013/nab2013/ This microsite started being updated with product announcements, video's, blog posts etc. for both the Pro Video and Pro Audio products ( PT 11 is coming in June too) starting on April 7, 2013. Please feel free to check this site periodically for updates.
3. Product Availability - Avid Media Composer 7, the Symphony Option and NewsCutter 11 new licenses and upgrades to Media Composer 7, Media Composer 7 with the Symphony Option and NewsCutter 11 will be available for purchase at the end of June 2013 ( on or around June 27th, 2013) from Avid Inside Sales directly, Avid Resellers, and the Avid Online Store.
4. Buy 6.5/10.5 and get 7/11 at No Charge - Customers that buy a new Media Composer 6.5, Symphony 6.5 or NewsCutter 10.5 license or an upgrade to Media Composer 6.5, Symphony 6.5 or NewsCutter 10.5 will be eligible to receive an upgrade to the product they have bought - i.e. Media Composer, Media Composer w/Symphony Option or NewCutter.
5. Protection Program Changes from previous versions - Avid is handling the Protection Program a bit differently with the release of v7/v11. Rather than going by a customers 6.5/10.5 product registration, we will be relying on the date the license or upgrade to 6.5/10.5 was added to their avid.com "My Account", either by an Activation Code /Download Code redemption or an Avid Online Store purchase.
This means that you won’t have to take any action on launch date to get your free upgrade if eligible. Customers will just log into their avid.com My Account via the Master Account login https://www.avid.com/US/Account/orientation and the new activation ID and download link will be there.
The important component here is:
* That customer’s need to use the 6.5/10.5 Download Codes they have received from a reseller or Disti purchase or an upgrade between now and the June 27th, 2013.
* Avid Online Store purchases of new units and upgrades will be automatic and the new activation code(s) will be available on launch day.
Bottom line - if you bought a new license to Media Composer 6.5, Symphony 6.5 or NewsCutter 10.5, or an upgrade from a reseller you need to redeem your Download code located on the activation card at http://apps.avid.com/activate/us/ before June 27, 2013.
6. Protect Requirements - Three things are required in order to receive an upgrade to v7 /11 at no additional charge:
- Purchase a new unit or an upgrade to Media Composer 6.5, Symphony 6.5 or NewsCutter 10.5 on or after April 7, 2013 from the Avid Store or a Reseller
- Register the New unit product (at www.avid.com/support/register).
- Redeem your Download Code from your Activation Card kit via your Avid Account at Account.avid.com before June 30th, 2013.
Please Note: Customers who purchase from the Avid Web Store do not need to redeem a Download Code as their products are available in their Avid Account at account.avid.com immediately after purchase. These customers still fall under the Protection Program.
7. Educational Customers and the Protect Program - Do Education Customers – students, teachers, or institutions – also qualify for the Protect period? Education customers will also receive an upgrade to the corresponding Education version (student, teacher, institution) of Media Composer 7 when it becomes available.
8. Avid License Control - we continue to use the Avid License Control Utility to activate licenses of Media Composer 7, Symphony Option and NewsCutter 11 and upgrades to Media Composer 7, Symphony Option and NewsCutter 11 as well as the ScriptSync and PhraseFind options. This is the same Avid Licensing Control Utility used to activate the new versions as well as PhraseFind and ScriptSync Options.
Note: The Avid Licensing Control Utility resides in the Utilities folder and be accessible outside of the editing application. Customers that forget to deactivate prior to re-imaging their system or moving their license to another commuter can now deactivate manually using the Avid License Control Utility.
9. Symphony Option and FAQ - Now an option to add to Media Composer 7, the Symphony Option contains advanced color correction tools for secondary color correction of images as well as relational color correction, formerly only available in Avid Symphony. The Symphony Option must be activated on top of Media Composer 7 or higher.