They are going to be 'the' gadget of NAB 2011, the portable LCD screened ProRes recorder for your video camera or DSLR. In true London bus style (you wait and then three come at once), Fast Forward Video have announced the sidekick HD.
Another booth for you to mark down on your card at NAB if you are interested in recording the HD-SDI or HDMI out of your camera. Take a look at the sidekick HD from Fast Forward Video, they are going to give one away on their stand #C12719 too. The jog wheel looks interesting and will allow for easier frame by frame stepping whilst on location. Seems a bit pricey at $2,494.95 though.
Here is a link to the product PDF, but here are some outline specifications:
- Capture the highest quality video that your HD camera can produce- up to 220 Mbit/s
- 4:2:2 sampling- 10-bit quantization
- Give post-production an option of preferred recording codecs
- Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)- Apple ProRes 422- In the future, more codec options will be available via purchased firmware updates
- Record directly to high quality NLE formats-eliminating extra transcoding time which may degrade image quality.
- Be sure you got the shot with the 4.3” on-board confidence monitor,which provides simple playback options including scrub and jog.
- Increase record times with larger capacity non-proprietary 2.5” solid state drives.
- Mount the sideKick HD anywhere with the power battery or cable option.
- Capture everything with automatic recording and frame rate/resolution sensing capabilities.