Matrox Monarch HD Encoder Appliance
Free Shipping for Orders IN THE USA
Professional Video Streaming and Recording Appliance
Matrox Monarch HD is a small, easy-to-use video streaming and recording appliance designed for professional video producers to stream a live event while simultaneously recording a higher, master quality version for post-event editing or archiving. Webcasting to YouTube and Facebook Live is easy for these popular platforms. All that’s needed is to set up the device once with these accounts and it’s automatically retained for subsequent streams.
From any HDMI input source such as a camera or switcher, Matrox Monarch HD generates an H.264-encoded stream compliant with RTSP or RTMP protocols. While encoding the video at bitrates suitable for live streaming, Matrox Monarch HD simultaneously records a high-quality MP4 or MOV file to an SD card, a USB drive, or a network-mapped drive. Matrox Monarch HD is remotely controlled using any computer or mobile device with a web browser.
Easily webcast to your audience
Monarch HD can provide live content to CDNs such as YouTube, Facebook Live, and Ustream; media servers such as Adobe Flash and Wowza; or directly to a computer or device found on a LAN. The device is easily configured for YouTube and Facebook accounts with a few short steps. As a certified “Works with Wowza” encoder it allows users to benefit from enhanced integration with the Wowza™ streaming engine. Additionally, Monarch HD supports XML files generated for use with Flash Live Media Encoder.
Record master quality video while streaming
If an event is worth streaming, it is worth recording at the highest possible quality. The better the recording quality, the more value it offers a post event produced asset. These assets can be made available to your audience as fast turnaround VOD files or as fully post produced highlight reels.
Matrox Monarch HD supports sharing the H.264 encoder between the streaming and recording processes so recording quality and upload bandwidth are independent of each other. A typical setting will let a user record a master quality file at 25 Mbps while simultaneously streaming at a bitrate of 5 Mbps.
Ready to edit and upload with MP4 and MOV
Matrox Monarch HD gives the option of recording high-quality H.264 video as MP4 or MOV files. These formats offer maximum versatility for use in any application. Upload a file to your own web server or to a Content Delivery Network (CDN) like YouTube. Alternatively, you can directly import the file into most creation tools without the need for file transcoding.
Record to anything
Matrox Monarch HD lets you select from a variety of recording media types. Use an SD card when a compact portable solution is required or a USB drive for long form recording. Alternately, a system drive on a computer found on the network may prove extremely useful if multiple individuals need to access the footage.
Presets and profiles for simple configuration
The Monarch HD firmware ships with a number of typical streaming and recording presets that define all the encoding parameters including resolution and bitrate. Whether preset or custom parameters are used, they only need to be entered once and saved as a unique profile. A profile not only contains encoding parameters but also destination information detailing where the encoded video is being sent. Multiple profiles can be saved if the device is used in different environments. Recording and streaming profiles are saved independently allowing a user to mix and match profiles depending how the Monarch is being used at the time. Each profile can be loaded instantly without having to re-enter data.
Remote command and control
A simple web page is all that is needed to harness the power of Matrox Monarch HD. You can control and configure the appliance using any device on your network that supports a standard web browsing application.
A single Matrox Monarch HD device can act as a master to multiple slave devices. From a single web page, you can simultaneously start the recording and/or streaming of up to four Matrox Monarch HD devices.
Install in a rack
Matrox offers an optional Monarch HD Rack Mount Kit, an ideal space and cable management accessory which allows a user to fit up to three Monarch HD units in a single 1RU space. Please see the Matrox Monarch HD Tech Specs for ordering information.
Learn more about the Matrox Monarch HD Encoder Appliance
- Full Description
- What's Included
- Demo Videos
Record master quality video while streaming
As a dedicated streaming or recording appliance, Matrox Monarch HD can stream at bitrates up to 20 Mbps or record at bitrates as high as 30 Mpbs.
Matrox Monarch HD injects the highest quality video into every bit regardless of input source or target bitrate. Combining the power of the built-in H.264 encoder with Matrox’s high quality deinterlacing and scaling engines guarantees stunning results.
Robust and practical design
Powerful and robust, Matrox Monarch HD offers simple, one touch stream and record pushbuttons, low power consumption, a locking power connector, and a fanless design. Matrox Monarch HD's HDMI output makes it easy to monitor what you are streaming and recording, regardless of whether the signal is received from a camera, a switcher, a signal convertor, or a computer. All eight channels of embedded audio can be passed from the HDMI input to HDMI output ports. Two channels of analog audio input with loopout are also available via 1/8" stereo jacks. Its design allows Matrox Monarch HD to be just as easily located on a desktop as in a rack–up to three units can fit in a single 1RU tray. The storage and button controls are conveniently located on the front of the unit while the power and I/O ports are found at the back.
Record to anything
The Monarch HD provides users the ability to create split files while recording. This is particularly useful when recording for extended periods of time. The user can enter a file length and Monarch HD will automatically split your recording into separate files, switching to a new file without losing a single frame. When loaded on an NLE timeline sequentially, they will playback seamlessly and can be exported as a single contiguous file.
Regardless of how or where you store the footage, the record controls can be executed without affecting the streaming operations. High quality files will be available to create video assets to complement the live stream well after the event is completed.
- Video Input: HDMI*
*Video Input Format is Auto-Detected
- Video Input Resolutions:
• 1920x1080 @ 60/59.94/50/30/29.97/25/24/23.98 fps
• 1280x720@ 60/59.94/50 fps
• 1920x1080i 29.97/25 fps
Video Input Format is Auto-Detected
- Video Output: HDMI
- Video Output Resolutions: Preview output of video input signal
- Audio Input: Processes first two channels of audio embedded in HDMI input signal. Unbalanced analog stereo input via 1/8” (3.5mm) jack. Line Level
- Audio Output: Passthrough of all embedded audio channels in HDMI signal. Unbalanced analog stereo output via 1/8” (3.5mm) jack – passthrough of input. Line Level
- Confidence Preview: 1x HDMI
- Maximum resolution: 1920x1080
- Color Space and Chroma Sub-Sampling: 4:2:0 (8-bit)
Video and Audio Processing
- Video Scaling: High Quality multi-tap 10 bit Down Scaler and De-Interlacer
- Available for both streaming and recording operations
- Audio Encoding Format: AAC-LC
- Audio Sampling Frequency: 32 kHz
- Audio Bitrates: Range from 32 kbps to 256 kbps
- Video Encoding Formats: H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC)
- Encoding Profiles: Baseline (BP)
- Encoder Bitrates Range:
Record Only Mode: 100 kbps to 30 Mbps
Stream Only Mode: 100 kbps to 20 Mbps
Independent Stream and Record Mode*:
• Recording: 100 kbps - 30 Mbps
• Streaming: 100 kbps - 10 Mbps
• Maximum combined total bitrate of 30 Mbps
*Note that when both streaming and recording resolutions are above 1280x720, the encode parameters must be identical for both processes. Completely Independent recording and streaming settings are available when either the streaming or the recording resolution is 1280x720 or below.
- Encoding Rate Control:
Average max/min data rate controls
Selectable frame rates
Variable bitrate support
- Encoding Level: Up to 4.2
- File Format: Industry Standard MP4 and MOV files with two channels of embedded AAC audio.
- Recording Locations:
2x USB 2.0*
1x SD card slot**
Network mapped drive***
* Support for NTFS (3.1) and FAT32 file system. The Monarch HD will support writing to USB3 devices at USB2 speeds. Also note, there is a very high variability in the performance capabilities of “thumb” drives (even USB3 versions). Many are optimized for “read” operations while the Monarch HD requires sustained “write” capabilities. For best results, Matrox recommends using powered USB drives. If small portable media is required, SD cards may be more suitable.
** Supports SD and SDHC cards. Only NTFS formatted SDXC cards are supported. (Class 10 highly recommended).
*** Support for writing to shared folders in computers found on a network using Windows Share protocols (suitable for Windows system) as well as NFS protocols (suitable for Mac and Linux systems).
- Recording Lengths: Maximum file length of 300 minutes—irrespective of storage type used. File splitting feature allows a user to record continuously for long periods by defining file segment sizes. The Monarch appliance will create these sequential file segments over the course of the recording operation without losing a single frame of video. File segment can have a length of 1 to 300 minutes.
- Full Frame Rate:Encode frame rates selection includes;
60/50, 30/25/24 and 15/12.5
Note that the maximum encode frame rate is 30 fps when encode resolution is 1920x1080
- Network Standard: RJ45 providing 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet with Static or DHCP addressing
- IP Addressing: IPv4
DHCP (default) and static IP
- Streaming Protocols: RTMP, RTSP/RTP
Unicast and Multi Unicast (number of clients may vary from 3 to 10)
- Command and Control: HTTPS over TCP
- Product Dimensions:
5.60 (L) x 4.40 (W) x 1.22 (H) inches
14.2 (L) x 11.2 (W) x 3.1 (H) centimeters
- Unit Weight: 0.66 lbs / 300 g
- Cooling: Fanless
- Power Supply Unit:
Line Voltage: 100-240 V a.c., 0.5A
Frequency: 50-60 Hz
Input: External AC/DC adapter - IEC320-C8
DIN4 Locking Power Connector
-EAC (Russia / Customs Union)
- Operating Conditions: Temperature: 0 to 45 degrees Celsius
Altitude: 650 hPa (3,580 m) to 1,013 hPa (0 m)
Humidity: 20% to 80% non-condensing
- Storage Conditions: Temperature: -40 to 70 degrees Celsius
Altitude: 192 hPa (12,000 m) to 1,020 hPa (-50 m)
Humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
- Power Consumption: Input: 9-24 volts
- Total Power Consumption: 20-30 watts (42 max)
- Supported Operating Systems (software):
Mac OSX EL Capitan
Windows 10 (64 bit)
- EMC/EMI Device Class: Class B
- EMC/EMI Certifications:
- Environmental Certifications: RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU amended by (EU) 2015/863
- Warranty: Two-year limited warranty with free online or telephone support
- Matrox Monarch HD appliance
- Matrox Monarch HD external power supply
- IEC-C8 power cords (US, UK and EU)
- Monarch HD Command Center
HTTPS API *