Media Composer 8.9 was released on Thursday, August 3rd at 3:00 PM EDT. This update was made available from Avid Master Accounts, Application Manager, and the Avid Download Center (login and password required).
Media Composer | First 8.9 was also released at the same time, and is available from Avid Master Accounts and Application Manager.
Media Composer 8.9 includes a number of new features, including:
- Audio Slip: Users can now perform a sub-frame (sample) slip on audio sources, including file-based media
- Narrow Audio Mixer: The Narrow Mixer mode reduces the size (width) of the Audio Mixer by 35-45%, saving screen real estate while still enabling full functionality.
- Automatically Launch Effect Editor: A new Timeline setting allows users to set the Effect Editor to automatically open when an effect is applied.
- Color Correction Updates: Color Correction mode has been updated to support Pre-roll and Post-roll playback during preview, Dual Split mode remaining active during playback, and real-time updates of scopes.
- Support for Sony XAVC-L 1080p: Media Composer now supports Sony XAVC-Long G 1080p/50 50mb media.
- Support for High-Res Monitors: Icons, text, and windows now scale and display properly when on a high-res (200%) monitor.
- UI and UX Updates from Media Composer | First: Media Composer now includes some features from First, including the ability to expand and collapse the Source Browser, support for larger Thumbnails in the Source Browser, display Source/Record highlight colors, and Position Bar Snap, which snaps the position bar to the nearest edit point when clicking in the Timeline.
Media Composer 8.9 includes a number of bug fixes as well, including:
- When your locale was set to German, Spanish, or Italian, a number of Media Composer dialog boxes displayed cut off text. This has been fixed. Also, a number of dialogs now include tool tips in the appropriate language.
- (Mac) When exporting EDL using “To several files,” V1 track files were not created.• (Mac) Performing a background render ignored Source Settings LUT.
- You might have corrupted output in the record monitor when you opened the Effect Editor of a rolling title.
- (Mac) The editing application would crash while opening Effect Mode of an Animated Marquee title.
- Importing two tracks increased the clip duration by 1 frame.
- Changing local clip colors did not save if that was the only change you made.
- In some instances after performing a match frame, shift clicking to select a range of clips in the bin did not select the clips.
- When an AudioSuite rendered effect was removed from the sequence, you could not close the plug-in window.
- When in the Source Browser, linking to an XAVC Long GOP volume did not work properly. This has been fixed. The latest nablet-Sony XDCAM plug-in is required for XAVC Long GOP volume support.Media Composer | First 8.9 includes a number of bug fixes as well, including:
- Media Composer | First would not install on a Chinese or Japanese OS when the installer was run from the auto-run. This has been fixed.How to obtain Media Composer 8.9
Customers who have already installed the latest version of Media Composer were notified of the availability of the upgrade via the Application Manager. The Apps tab also provides a link to download and install the update when desired.
New customers who purchase Media Composer received the 8.9 update in their Avid Master Account.
Customers on current Upgrade & Support plans
can download the Media Composer 8.9 update either from their Avid Master Account or the Avid Download Center (login and password required).
Customers not on a current Upgrade & Support contract must purchase either a new Media Composer Subscription or Perpetual license to receive this update.
Reminder: This release of Media Composer requires an active Upgrade & Support plan. Please ensure your customer's plans and licenses are both up to date before installing this update.
More details on the Media Composer 8.9 release can be found here