In this stream, Adam talks about what is RTMP, and answers many common questions, and gives several demonstrations on RTMP applications for live streaming.
- 0:00 - What is RTMP?
- 1:11 - DO NOT SHARE YOUR STREAM KEY
- 2:14 - the 2 Components to RTMP
- 3:34 - RTMP with YouTube, Facebook, and Sherpa
- 7:59 - RTMP with OBS
- 9:45 - Most CDNs Offer a Consistent Stream Key
- 11:41 - RTMP with YoloLiv YoloBox
- 16:26 - Stream Key and Its Different Names
- 19:40 - You Know the Process You Know Them All
- 20:56 - Some CDNs Make You Go Live Twice and Wirecast Demo
- 25:21 - RTMP is an Amazing Backup to Go Live
- 28:17 - RTMP and LiveU Solo
- 33:04 - RTMP to Multiple Destinations and restream.io Demo
- 35:53 - DO NOT SHARE YOUR STREAM KEY & Wrap Up.
What is RTMP?
- RTMP: Real Time Messaging Protocol
- RTMP is a widely accepted streaming protocol for audio, video and data over the internet from the back of your device.
- RTMP is still the standard for most CDNs- and therefore most encoders as well.
- YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, LinkedIn and more use RTMP
DO NOT Share your Stream Key.
Your Stream Key is what allows you to send your RTMP stream to your destination, and it allows you to stream from any system, anywhere. If another party gets your stream key and server URL, they can now stream to your channel or profile, without your knowledge.They do not need to be signed into your account to stream to it
Remember the two Components of RTMP
Server URL- This is the address of your server. It will stay consistent.
Stream Key- This may stay consistent, or it may change with every stream. Make sure to check before streaming.
Most Channels Offer a Consistent Stream Key.
Set it up once in your system and you can forget it
If you're working in an ever-changing environment, it might be best to change the stream key with every stream
Your Stream Key can go by Different Names
Depending on the encoder and the CDN you are using, "Stream Key" can go by different names! Stream ID or Stream Name are the two most popular alternative names.
You Know the Process, You Know it All
With the exception of a few applications, all setup is relatively the same using an area to paste the Server URL and then the Stream Key
Some CDNs Require you to go Live Twice
In these cases, you go live on your encoder FIRST, and then must hit go live on your CDN.This is the case for: YouTube, LinkedIn, Facebook, Vimeo , and more.
You can still set YouTube and Facebook to go live immediately
(at least for now). This is not always such a great thing! If a mistake is made early on, you have control over if someone can see it or not. In many cases, we recommend leaving your CDN set to NOT go live automatically.
RTMP is an Amazing Backup Incase Premade Modules Fail
- CDNs are always updating: Including YouTube and Facebook, especially.
- Custom RTMP Modules offer a good work around in case these fail.
- There are NO Excuses not to go Live!
Sending RTMP Streams to Multiple Destinations
YoloBox does 3 Destinations. NewTek TriCasters can stream to 2 Destinations.
Most encoders can only stream to only 1.
One popular solution to send multiple streams is to stream to services like restream.io and Switchboard Live!